2009-09-17 / Front Page

Two suspects arrested in stabbing incident

OCEAN TOWNSHIP — Police have arrested two area men in connection with the stabbing of a third man outside his township residence last week.

On Aug. 30 at approximately 9:34 a.m., Ocean Township police were notified of a victim of a stabbing by Monmouth Medical Center, according to police.

Ocean Township Police Officer Mark Powoski responded to the hospital where he learned that the victim, identified as Dustin Palm, 29, of Ocean Township, was dropped off at the hospital after allegedly being involved in an altercation with two men during which he was stabbed multiple times in the left leg, according to police.

The investigation by Ocean Township police detectives John Green and Paul Flammia revealed that Palm allegedly became involved in an argument with another man identified as Rayheem H. Bell, 29, of Ocean Township, at approximately 4 a.m. while at Palm's Palmer Avenue residence, according to police.

The argument allegedly turned physical and spilled out onto the front yard of the residence, according to reports.

A second man also present during the incident and later identified as Jermel S. Crawford, 20, of Long Branch, allegedly became involved in the altercation and, police said, used a folding knife to stab the victim multiple times in the upper left leg.

The fight then ended and Bell and Crawford fled the scene, according to reports.

Palm was later taken to the hospital by a family friend, according to police.

Police said he suffered 12 stab wounds, a fractured skull, a broken nose, eight fractured ribs and multiple contusions. He was hospitalized in stable condition.

According to a press release from the Ocean Township Police Department, detectives contacted Bell who agreed to go to police headquarters where he was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and later taken to the Monmouth County Correctional Institution on $75,000 bail.

The police investigation revealed Palm had a total 10 outstanding municipal court warrants for his arrest out of Long Branch, Hazlet, Middletown, Wall and Perth Amboy. He was also found to have an outstanding warrant for the charge of resisting arrest out of Pennsylvania, according to reports.

He was subsequently charged with being a fugitive from justice. He remained in the hospital under supervision of the Monmouth County Sheriff's Office with a total bail of $55,404, according to police.

Crawford, who was arrested on Aug. 31 by Long Branch police and turned over to Ocean Township police, was charged with aggravated assault, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon and was later taken to the Monmouth County Correctional Institution on $85,000 bail, according to police.

Return to top